Wednesday 11 April 2012

One off Volunteering

Hello I’m Natasha and at the beginning of my second year I was keen to do some volunteering, but I am studying Adult Nursing and so unable to commit to regular volunteering due to our shifts on clinical placement . However I heard about KUSU Volunteering at Freshers Fayre and was delighted to be able to sign up for one-off volunteering!! One-off volunteers receive emails regularly with details of events that are looking for volunteers, and you just email back to register your interest and then you receive all the information you need.

Natasha (5th from the left) and other volunteers from the Mini Marathon

Before I knew it I was volunteering for Great Ormond street hospital cheering on their runners in the Royal parks half marathon in Hyde Park. Since then I have also volunteered selling clothes at a clothes swap for Cancer Research, taking timings at the Kingston trials for the London Virgin Mini Marathon and as a marshall for a Miles for Missing people fun run. To some people being a marshall or cheering on runners may seem like a very trivial thing to do but the charities are always so grateful for volunteers for giving up their time and many say that the events could not run without our help.

Volunteering has definitely improved my confidence, team working skills and also taught me how to adapt to new situations, but most importantly it has got me out of the house, having fun and helping people especially during the tougher times of my course. I would urge anyone who is interested to sign up to one-off volunteering (especially my fellow student nurses!!), not only will you have fun but it is something that will look great on your CV and you can be proud to have made a difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...