Monday 3 June 2013

Conservation Volunteering

Tameka receiving her KUSU Volunteering certificate of achievement
Hi, my name is Tameka Harry and I’m currently studying BA (Hons) in Media, Cultural Studies with Television and New Broadcasting Media at Kingston University, London.

In my home county of Trinidad and Tobago I used to volunteer with Rotary International, whose motto is “Service Above Self”. It taught me the value of giving my skills and time for the benefit of the community and environment.

Since coming to the UK, I have become a KUSU Volunteer and given my time to several one-off volunteering  projects, such as the Green Impact Auditing in April 2013. For this we received training on how to conduct a Green Impact audit and then had the opportunity to go into the offices at River House, conduct an audit and interact with the teams about what they had implemented and achieved. This ‘hands-on’ experience was wonderful and was one of the best parts of the day for me.

I’ve also volunteered on the second Thames River Clean, KUBAG’s Hogsmill litter pick and KUBAG’s Balsam bash!

I love volunteering. Yes you can add the experiences to your CV which is great, but what I love most about it is, is giving up my time and skills to benefit others in need. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...