Wednesday 23 February 2011

Volunteering with the MET Police!

My name is Christine Daniel and I am a Metropolitan Police Special Constable!

Being a Met Police Special basically means that I have all of the same powers of arrest and entry as a regular Metropolitan Police Officer. The only difference is I volunteer! I volunteer out and about in Wandsworth Borough of London which includes; Putney, Battersea, Clapham Junction, Tooting, Earlsfield, Nine Elms and Wandsworth. 

Here’s a little picture of me in uniform with the class that I trained with.

I volunteer a minimum of 16 hours per month, but you can do more, essentially the Met Police require 200 hours per year, so if you wanted you could do the whole thing in two months, but as most volunteers do, they have a few other commitments! 

The police service is a really rewarding job to do, you meet all sorts of people and everyday is a new learning experience. Since I haven’t been able to do much patrolling because I’ve been run over by Uni, I would say that even graduating from the ‘crime academy’ (!) was the most rewarding thing, because you’ve learned, in a short space of time, the incredible amount of knowledge that Met Police Officers have, met the most wonderful people, like my colleagues and my sergeants and your learning always continues as you have first aid training every twelve months, Officer Safety Training every six months and people training everyday!

If you want to join the Metropolitan Police as a Special Constable, then go onto the Met Police website and join up, it’s the last generation being recruited now, so get applying!   


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...