Wednesday 2 October 2013

Abbie 'Knits for Peace'

Hi!  My name is Abbie and I am one of the KUSU Volunteer Coordinators.  I like to get involved in a lot of charities and I currently volunteer with Cats Protection, St John Ambulance, and the Crisis Response Team on a regular basis.  However, like so many of our KUSU volunteers I am always looking for ways to learn new skills and give something back to the community.

When Sarah (our other KUSU Volunteer Coordinator) mentioned the idea of beginning a Knit for Peace Project, we wanted to make sure that it was something that all our fabulous KUSU volunteers could get involved in - regardless of their previous knitting experience.  As someone who has NEVER knitted before I offered to be her first student – if I could learn ANYONE could!!

On Monday I had my first lesson.  During our lunch break we went for a coffee and Sarah took me though the very basics of knitting.  After an initial half hour of confusion, frustration and wool-tangles I was starting to get the hang of it!

By Wednesday, after a little practicing, I was on my way to making my first hat!  Knitting isn’t necessarily something I would have considered before, but it’s great to do on the train, in front of the TV and it turns otherwise wasted time into something really productive.  It’s a little tricky at first, but once you get the hang of it you’ll find its really easy and surprisingly rewarding!

All the knitting we are doing is donated to Knit for Peace.  Knit for Peace then send our creations to people in countries and areas of need. For example sending hats, scarves, socks and blankets.

So starting on the 16th October 2013, and every Wednesday afternoon following, between 1-3pm Sarah will be running a knitting club, and KUSU would love you to join us.  KUSU will provide wool, needles and also training so don’t worry if you can’t already knit.  You can come for a much time as you wish, and it’s a great way to donate a couple of hours of your time to help others less fortunate.

Not only can you ‘Knit for Peace’, you can also then use your new skills to knit fabulous presents for your friends and family!!

The Knit for Peace Project begins on Wednesday the 16th October 1pm-3pm – sign up at http://kingston.xvs.org.uk/

I hope to see you there




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...